Director of Strategic Communications and Policy Research
As one of the nation’s leading public health advocacy organizations, the Trust for America’s Health (TFAH) is dedicated to saving lives by protecting the health of every community and working to make disease prevention a national priority. Since its founding in 2001, TFAH has been at the forefront of developing and advancing policies to improve the public health system. TFAH’s strategic agenda focuses on ensuring and strengthening sufficient and sustained resources for an improved core public health system; improving the integration of the public health and health care systems to achieve better results in reducing health problems and delivering value-based results; and building partnerships and collaboration across sectors to promote effective approaches to address the social determinants of health. The organization is deeply committed to working to close the health gaps across racial, ethnic, geographic, and economic disparities.
TFAH has built an exceptional reputation by defining a vision for a new era of public health – bringing together incisive, science-driven analysis with innovative, yet pragmatic ideas for policy change. The organization regularly issues a hallmark set of high-visibility issue reports that have redefined and advanced public health issues; convenes top experts and partners with diverse views to rethink and advance priority areas; builds partnerships and coalitions to achieve mutually-beneficial goals; and serves as a strong, credible, non-partisan “go to” thought leader on public health issues for policymakers, media, partners, and the public.
With exciting new partnerships, organizational growth, and funder relationships, TFAH now seeks a new Director of Strategic Communications and Policy Research who will provide expert leadership to the organization’s communications strategy and policy research. The new Director will develop and execute an innovative communications and policy research agenda that is grounded in TFAH’s evidence-based approach and furthers its sector wide thought leadership role, pairing cutting edge policy research with pragmatic, forward thinking policy recommendations. The new Director will serve as lead author of TFAH’s major reports, briefings, and analysis, and lead its communications team, identifying and designing the most effective vehicles for TFAH’s policy analysis that lead to impactful public health policy change. The new Director will be a seasoned communicator in public health and a creative and innovative thinker who understands how to translate complex research for a wide variety of audiences and platforms. S/he will bring a strategic approach to integrated communications and policy research, and the team orientation to advance TFAH’s mission and the field of public health broadly. A Master’s degree in public health, policy, or communications and 10-15 years relevant experience are required.
APPLICATIONS & INQUIRIES
Applications including a cover letter describing your interest and qualifications, your resume (in Word format), salary expectations, and where you learned of the position should be sent to:
POLICY DEVELOPMENT MANAGER
Trust for America’s Health (TFAH), seeks a Policy Development Manager to work on policy development related to prevention and public health. The major components of the work are: conducting policy research; writing policy reports, grants, issue briefs and other materials; developing relationships with key stakeholders; and planning and executing expert policy meetings/convenings. Initial areas of focus will include leading TFAH’s work on healthy aging (launching a learning collaborative in Florida to pilot a public health approach) and supporting work on health equity, public health/hospital collaboration and behavioral health.
Candidates must have strong research, policy and analytic skills – including the ability to understand federal and state policies and the policy environments within the health care, public health, and other sectors; clearly summarize and explain complex policy issues; identify, evaluate and synthesize relevant and timely source material; and write clearly and effectively for both policy and general audiences.
TFAH is a non-profit, non-partisan organization dedicated to saving lives by protecting the health of every community and working to make disease prevention a national priority. Some focus areas at TFAH include population health, obesity, public health preparedness, substance misuse and mental health, and health equity. Examples of TFAH convenings are available at: http://healthyamericans.org/health-issues/wp-content/uploads/2017/05/Future-of-Prevention-Summary_Final.pdf, http://healthyamericans.org/health-issues/wp-content/uploads/2017/04/Mental-Health-Promotion-Working-Group-Summary.pdf and http://healthyamericans.org/health-issues/wp-content/uploads/2017/04/Local-Health-Trusts-Convening-Summary.pdf.
The position reports to Director of Policy Development and is based in TFAH’s Washington, DC office.
- Minimum five years of relevant policy experience, preferably in health policy and particularly positions that required research, analysis, and writing.
- Advanced degree in a relevant area such as public health, public policy, or health administration.
- Project management experience including the ability to break a complex project down into manageable parts and coordinate the implementation of the project plan. Capacity to manage multiple projects, timelines, and deadlines at once.
- Ability to identify, analyze, and synthesize policy information.
- Ability to understand policy environments and tailor writing and projects for non-partisan policymaker audiences.
- Highly effective written and verbal communication skills.
- Excellent organizational skills, the ability to think logically, and pay close attention to details.
- Ability to work independently, including appropriately identifying next steps, and in a group setting with confidence and reliability.
- Demonstrated qualities of leadership, maturity, and commitment to the improvement of the public health system and structure.
- Experience working as an integral member of a team, sharing responsibility, project management, and associated tasks toward the accomplishment of identified goals.
- Willingness to travel domestically.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Word, Excel, and PowerPoint.
- Knowledge of federal health care programs, especially Medicaid and Medicare, and a familiarity with health care financing.
- Ability to independently conduct research using academic and policy sources and develop evidence to support positions.
- Experience in cross-sector collaboration and/or adult learning is preferred.
- Ability to translate science and technical issues into concise written material compatible for policymakers and general audiences.
- Ability to work with and manage relationships with policy development team members, other departments at TFAH, external partners, convening and learning collaborative participants, and report reviewers.
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment.
Salary: Commensurate with experience and qualifications.
To apply: Send cover letter and resume via e-mail to email@example.com.
Trust for America’s Health is an equal opportunity employer. www.healthyamericans.org.